McGills Hairdressing September Newsletter.
Product of the Month: Feeling Haze-y!
EVO Haze Powder
The little bottle that’s flying off our shelves.
If your hair lacks volume and texture, you need to give it a try. It’s recommended for all hair types and is especially great for fine, limp hair or for shorter styles. We’ve all been there, just washed your hair and it’s so squeaky clean you can’t do a thing with it. Apply Haze to dry hair anytime, no need to add heat, just rub into roots – great for on-the-go, nights out and festivals!
Don’t be deceived by it’s size, a little goes a long way! £15.00 investment to ensure hair flops are a thing of the past.
Avoid Disappointment – Get Rebooking and Save Money
Just a little heads-up that the salon is getting busier and busier. We’re already taking bookings for Christmas time!
We’ve added an additional late night to our opening hours to keep up with the extra demand. From 5th September we’ll be open until 8pm on Tuesday nights with Garry and Maya on hand to cover all your cutting and colour needs.
With this in mind we are recommending more than ever that you book ahead to make sure you get your favourite stylist and the time/date you want. And don’t forget, you get 10% off if you re-book in-salon at the end of your appointment!
It’s a no brainer! Get booked in and get £££ off!
Offer of the Month:
Festival time is over, which can mean only one thing… BACK TO SCHOOL
Freshers week is nearly here – keep an eye out for the McGills team on campus handing out our new McGills Student Card. Grab one to get 20% off cut, colour and treatments all year round as well as exclusive student offers.
T&Cs apply – must show valid student ID to receive discount
One for the Boys
Think hairdressers are just for girls? Think again!
Calling all gents!! Here are our reasons why the hairdressers is the place for you if you want style that’s going to turn heads…
- Face-shape and head-shape. You could have the best style out there, but if it doesn’t suit you, it’s no good! Face shape might seem obvious but too often gents leave the barbers with a basic cut that doesn’t suit their face. Head-shape is equally important to consider. Flat areas, bumps, scars etc. all need to be taken into account when creating the ‘perfect’ shape.
- Lifestyle. So you’ve got the right style for you, now you need to recreate it at home. A good hairdresser will always ask you about your haircare routine, what products you use and how you use them. From there they can give you a style that suits your lifestyle as well as tips and tricks to keep your hair looking good when you’re not in the salon.
- Time and money. Yes, most hairdresser visits will take a little longer than your average barber, which is why they charge more too. But you can’t buy a Ferrari for the price of a Micra, can you? All the things mentioned above take time and expertise that come at a price. At McGills, we also offer a walk-in option where you’ll get the usual salon service but at the reduced price of £15.00 – keep in mind it’s first come, first serve and we cannot guarantee someone will be free.
- Picking your stylist. It’s important you have rapport with your hairdresser. Take advantage of our free cut or colour consultations to get to know your needs and what different stylists can offer you. It only takes 10-15 minutes and we can discuss all of the things mentioned above and find a stylist to suit your budget, style and banter.
Meet Mr McGill…
I’ve you’ve ever visited the salon, you’ve probably met Garry. He’s the owner of McGills as well as one of our outstanding Director Stylists. Garry’s motto is ‘your hair, your vision’. He has a huge gents client base as well as his regular ladies who trust him to deliver creative styles that suit their lifestyles. If you’re looking for someone to change the way you think about your hair and give you the best cut of your life, Garry’s your man!
- Describe yourself in 3 words… ‘Creative, sporadic, laid-back.’
- Describe your hairdressing style in 3 words… ‘Creative, honest, precise.’
- What’s your guilty pleasure? ‘Chocolate!’
- Tell me your best (or worst!) joke… ‘I once told a client she’d drawn her eyebrows on too high. She seemed surprised.’
- What’s your favourite part of the job? ‘Helping my clients understand their hair.’
- Which Davines product is your favourite and why? ‘MINU Serum. Moisture, moisture, moisture. Need I say more?’
- What’s your favourite movie? ‘Lucy.’
- Any future plans? ‘Lose another 1 stone while still eating chocolate!’
A colour like no other…
Our brand of colour and why we think it’s the bee’s knees.
- Paraben free! Parabens are preservative chemicals used in most cosmetic products. No parabens mean less chemical damage for your hair. Minimising damage during colouring means your hair will have a lot more shine and lustre.
- No PPD! PPD is the ingredient that most often causes a negative reaction to hairdye. No PPD means theres a much lower chance of a reaction. We always recommend a patch test 24 hours before a colour treatment, but with Davines you’re far less likely to have any irritation.
- Low ammonia! The colour has very low ammonia which means less smell and, like with parabens, less chemical damage to your hair.
- Natural ingredients! The whole range uses natural active ingredients including omega 9 (a rich conditioning agent) and quinoa protein extract. The natural ingredients allow it to penetrate more evenly into the hair, making the colour last longer.
What’s on in October?
If you think Halloween’s scary – the McGills team are going ‘Sober for October’!
Garry, Heather and Maya have nobly agreed to cut out the booze for a month to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Care.
For the rest of us who just couldn’t bring ourselves to give up our vodka cokes (ahem*Robyn*ahem) we had to think of something even scarier! As a team we’re braving the heights of Go Ape! We’ll set the date soon and keep you up to date on the fun via our Instagram and FB accounts. Be prepared for a good laugh as we fall about in mud and jump from tree tops in the name of a good cause.
To kick start the fundraising, we’ll be joining in with the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning on Friday 29th September. Instead of our usual coffee and biscuits, we’ll be providing home baking and flavoured lattes all week leading up to the official coffee morning.
Cancer affects everyone, almost 1 in 2 people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their lives and everyone knows someone who has fought or is still fighting. We’ll be collecting for Macmillan both in-salon and online on our Just Giving page. Please help us out however you can, a little means a lot.